Sunday, January 31, 2010

Coati Quest

I knew I should have brought my camera… In fact, I thought I had packed it, but the moment I needed it, it was nowhere to be found. The odd creature who would have been my model seemed to know this and stuck around, watching us, coyly waiting to melt into the underbrush the instant a camera lens appeared.

We had been trudging up the small boulders that make the trail to the top of Cerro Pan de Azucar. This was our second outing to the park and I had left my camera at home. So there I was, admiring a ring tailed Coati staring right at us from 8 feet away while my husband, whose philosophy about picture taking just prior to that moment had been to “experience” rather than be behind a lens, expressed his disappointment that I was sans camera. Naturally, I told him to just be in the moment and enjoy rather than getting caught up in bagging a photo trophy. We stood there for a while, him watching us, us watching him, awed to see a creature like this here. The Coati didn’t seem awed though, he just yawned as he approached us with curiosity.

I could substitute one of the many Coati photos I took in Tikal, Guatemala seven years ago. In Tikal, ring-tailed Coatis are like squirrels are in most parts of the United States – everywhere. However, the same creature here is unlikely to be seen. Up until now, we had not even heard of Coatis in Uruguay. Their habitat is forest, which Uruguay does not have a lot of.

Hopefully, we’ll see this little guy again. If you should come across a Coati, or any wildlife for that matter, please don’t feed them. In doing so, you would be habituating a wild animal to humans, who may not all have good intentions. Wild animals have adapted beautifully to fit their environment, of which your snack food is not a natural part.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I know but they really like Cheetos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Anonymous, so bad, so bad. But really, I would eat a Cheeto too if you gave me one.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter